Looking for that perfect streak-free at-home bronze? Here are 10 tested tips to help make you a sunless tanner pro:
1. Tight fitting rubber gloves do work just as good as your hands. They should fit snugly and be thrown away after each use.
2. Elbows, knees, armpits, and under forearms and ankles should always be prepped pre tanning with lotion or a sunscreen to prevent build-up of tanner. Afterwards, designate a wash cloth for a quick semi-damp pat over.
3. Exfoliate from head to toe. Body exfoliation should be done with a non-oily or moisturizing scrub. Oil based scrubs prevent color from applying evenly to skin. Try scrubs that are designed specifically for self tanning like L’Oreal Sublime Bronze Sunless Body Scrub. Salt scrubs should be avoided if you plan on shaving before tanning.
4. If using darkly tinted self tanners, you may want to shave legs the day prior. This is especially helpful if you plan to go on with your day after self tanning application. The dark tint usually settles into fresh hair-free pores and can give off a spotted effect on skin.
5. I am a huge fan of tanning when staying in hotels. This way, you can apply tanner before you catch zzz’s and wake up golden. It also keeps the mess off your sheets at home (come on, they bleach these sheets at seriously hot temperatures so there’s no problem getting self tanning stains removed!)
6. Avoid your facial moisturizer and body creams for as long as you can and be sure not to apply at all until color is in full effect.
7. After tanning, exercise should be a sweat free activity and swimming is completely of limits. If it’s raining, stay indoors. Once you’re caught in the rain, you’ll find tiger streaks rather than an even glow.
8. If you need tan longevity, steam showers, saunas, and hot baths should be avoided during your days of deep glow.
9. Wear dark loose fitting clothing to avoid tan transferring. A tight pair of jeans put on immediately after tanning will absorb tan lotion and leave creases on your skin.
10. After tanning face, be sure to swipe a wet cotton swab across eyebrows and rub out tanner that could have deposited. Also, a cotton ball moistened across your hairline will remove where tanners like to build up during application. This will ensure a no-tell tanned face.
Want even more tips? Beauty editor Mickey Williams shares some in a recent radio interview: