August 2010 Archives
Celebrity editorial stylist Mark Townsend created a modern and fresh hair look for Lea Michele. “Lea wanted her hair to look touchable and super modern, and full hair with lots of volume and a bit of roughness was perfect against her flawless gown,” said Townsend.
· Start with clean hair. Michele used Dove Daily Treatment Conditioner to give softness and smoothness in the time it takes to use a conditioner.
· “The end-of-Summer timing of the Emmys is a perfect opportunity to play with color. Lea is still shooting episodes of Glee and we couldn’t do anything permanent, so I added in a few custom pieces of hair to add dimension and giver her removable highlights for the evening.” The result was a golden/coppery effect throughout the ends of Michele’s hair.
· Use Dove Body & Lift Volumizing Mousse throughout damp hair and blow dry with a round brush to add lift.
·Spray 3 inch sections of hair with Dove Heat Defense Therapy Mist to protect hair against heat styling damage before using an iron.
· Next, use a 2 inch curling iron to give a subtle bend or ‘S’ curl, rather than a perfect curl. Curl from the ends all the way up, and set each section with a barrel clip for 5 to 7 minutes or until cool.
· Scrunch hair with Dove Daily Moisture Therapy Replenishing Mist to add moisture, and blow dry briefly without a diffuser to look a bit undone.
· Warm a pea-sized amount of Dove Frizz Control Therapy Taming Cream between the palms of hands. Rake fingers through hair to distribute product evenly for shiny, modern texture.
· Tease hair at the crown for extra volume and lift.
· To finish, spray Dove Unscented Extra Hold Hairspray with Natural Movement liberally on a small, natural bristle eyebrow brush and run through bangs to hold a middle part. The parted bangs gave a modern update to the 60’s vibe of Michelle’s hair.
HOW TO GET JANUARY JONES’S LOOK:
For Mad Men’s January Jones, Townsend created an edgy, fashion-forward look. “A textured, asymmetrical bob was the perfect way to incorporate January’s love of editorial fashion and runway style into a feminine, yet tough look,” said Townsend.
· The night before, use Dove Intensive Repair Damage Therapy Shampoo and Conditioner to strengthen hair and prevent damage.
· “Second day texture was key to achieve this runway-meets-Hollywood look, so I pre-styled her hair the night before.” Distribute Dove Curl & Sculpt Defining Mousse throughout and blow dry hair with round brush to add lift
· Set top sections of hair with large, 3 inch Velcro rollers for 15-20 minutes. While rollers set, add extensions in the front only to make hair longer in the front and shorter in the back.
· Spritz throughout with Dove Heat Defense Therapy Mist to protect against styling damage.
· Wrap 1 ½ to 2 inch sections of hair around a 1 inch curling iron to create a big, loose wave instead of a tight curl.
· The next day, reapply mousse to add lift to hair, and blow dry gently with a round brush to freshen up ends but not set perfectly.
· Rake a small amount of Dove Frizz Control Therapy Taming Cream through hair to add smoothness.
· Finish the look by spraying Dove Flexible Hold Hairspray with Natural Movement to set the style but still allow movement.
How to get the look:
1. Shampoo/Condition hair, towel blot to remove excess water.
2. Apply desired straightening balm, styling products and/or heat protectant.
3. Create an off-center part using a long tail comb. If you prefer a more natural look, pull hair back away from face in lieu of a part.
4. Use a natural bristle brush round or flat brush and dry hair until 100% dry. Use brush to create in volume in the crown and the sides if desired. If you prefer to wear the side ponytail straight, use a paddle brush to straighten tresses as you dry.
5. Using a brush or fingers, pull the side and crown hair back towards the nape of the neck. Smooth ponytail and then position the base so that it rests just slightly behind one ear.
6. Spritz the entire head lightly with a setting or styling spray.
Philosophy’s the supernatural line is just that: super healthy, mineral-based, your-skin-but-better makeup. Standouts include:
- Airbrushed Canvas- a high-pigment, talc-free foundation that conceals, camouflages and
provides spf protection all in one easy step. best of all, it’s safe for all skin types. Airbrushed Canvas looks natural and almost melts into skin, leaving you flawless with no tell tale makeup look or “shiny” appearance that other mineral powders can take on.
- Superbeautiful Hybrid Liquid- a healthy, good-for-skin makeup infused with natural, plant-based
moisturizers, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and spf 20 to deliver
sheer color, moisture and protection. Perfect for those who like the look and application of liquid makeup with the benefits of minerals. This one truly does double duty to keep skin flawless with or without makeup.
- Lit From Within Cream Blush - a superblendable, creamy, natural mineral blush that moisturizes, refreshes and adds sheer, healthy color to cheeks. This cream is easily applied with fingers or brush (we prefer our fingers!), and makes skin glow.
- You Make Me Blush Cheek Duo- a mineral powder duo creates a believable, natural flush of color for an all-over healthy look. The two shades complement each other, while also creating endless options for defining, highlighting, and accentuating features, all while remaining completely natural.
The line retails between $22-$35, available nationwide at Sephora, or at Philosophy.com.