Estee Lauder’s Aramis and Designer Fragrances division has launched a mobile phone app. Called Ascent, the Apple iPod Touch app asks shoppers a series of questions, and presents them with scent suggestions that fit their answers.
Questions cover topics such as favorite vacation spot, or favorite food. Your answers enable the app to reveal your personality as either sophisticated, casual or seductive, and a scent is then chosen and recommended to you from the Aramis collection.
Although the app currently only suggests fragrances owned by Aramis, which includes DKNY, Missoni, Sean John, and Micheal Kors, it’s a safe bet that other perfume companies will soon follow suit. Ascent will be available at Nordstrom beauty counters starting May 28.
You may not be as paranoid as she is, but it’s important to protect yourself. No matter what your skin concern may be - aging, sensitive, acne-prone— we’ve got you covered…literally.
Kinerase Daily Defense Lotion SPF 30, $135
An antiaging lotion with SPF 30 protection. Kinerase Daily Defense Lotion SPF 30 defends the skin against the harsh rays of the sun with the added benefit of active ingredient kinetin, a powerful antioxidant scientifically proven to visibly diminish the appearance of fine lines wrinkles by enhancing skin’s ability to maintain 25% more moisture.
Josie Maran Protect Daily Sun Protection Argan Oil Infused SPF 40+, $32
A chemical-free, SPF40+ daily sun block for the face, neck, and décolleté. This natural formula physically blocks UVA rays that can cause up to 80% of premature aging.
Infused with Josie’s signature ingredient, Argan Oil, which repairs and reverses damage caused by the sun, fights sign of aging, and improves skintone for a radiant, renewed complexion.
Best complexion boosting:
Boscia Illuminating UVA/UVB SPF 30, $30
A botanically based, oil-free sunscreen. Boscia Illuminating UVA/UVB SPF 30 provides natural sun protection using titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. The rich, botanically based formula enhances and fortifies all skin types, leaving a healthy, beautiful glow.
Best for oily skin:
DDF Matte Finish Photo-Age Protection™ SPF 30 , $32
A lightweight, easily absorbed, non-oily formula to help protect against premature aging effects caused by everyday exposure to the sun and environmental pollutants. It protects from both the UVA rays that cause long-term damage and the UVB rays that cause burning.
Best for sensitive skin:
Peter Thomas Roth Max Sheer All Day Defense Moisture Lotion - SPF 30 , $42
This user-friendly daytime essential provides extra-sheer protection against UVA/UVB rays as it soothes and hydrates skin. Rich in antioxidants to protect skin from free radical damage, this oil-free formula keeps your complexion safe and healthy.
Best for dry skin:
Clarins HydraQuench Cream SPF 15, $48
A moisturizing cream that combines a unique range of moisturizing agents that work in synergy to guarantee perfectly hydrated, comfortable skin. No matter the climate or conditions, you can count on this expert solution to keep your skin healthy and radiant.
Clinique Super City Block Oil-Free Daily Face Protector SPF 40, $17.50
Invisible protection for all skin tones and types from everyday encounters with the sun’s UVA (aging) and UVB (burning) rays. Comfortable, ultra-sheer formula uses physical sunscreens, so even sensitive skins can wear it daily. Helps makeup wear longer.
Sephora Sun Safety Kit ($95 Value) $25
Try before you buy! Protect your complexion with this array of products and find your perfect match. Do something good for your skin and feel good knowing that 100 percent of the net profits from the sales of this set will be donated to The Skin Cancer Foundation.
This set contains:
- 0.14 oz Murad Essential-C Eye Cream SPF 15
- 0.23 oz DDF Ultra-Lite Oil-Free Moisturizing Dew UV Moisturizer SPF 15
- 0.10 oz Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25 in Lemon and Chamomile
- 0.25 oz Peter Thomas Roth Max Sheer All Day Defense Lotion SPF 30
- 0.16 oz Kate Somerville Protect SPF 55 Serum Sunscreen
- 0.27 oz Clarins Delectable Self Tanning Mousse SPF 15
- 0.16 oz Cover FX BritePrep FX Brightening Foundation Primer & Photo-Aging Defense SPF 50
- 0.34 oz Bliss Best of Skintentions Daily Moisturizer SPF 15
- 0.23 oz Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 60 PA+++
- 0.25 oz Ole Henriksen Herbal Day Cream SPF 15
- 0.25 oz Smashbox Photo Finish UVA/UVB SPF 15
- 0.02 oz Bare Escentuals BareMinerals Multi-tasking Face SPF 20 in Summer Bisque
- Pink Sephora makeup bag
- 2 x single-use UVSunSense UV monitoring bracelets
Our picks for the top 10 sunless tanners of the year are:
Kate Somerville Somer360 Tanning Towelette
Clarins Radiance-Plus Self Tanning Body Lotion
Bobbi Brown Sunless Tanning Gel for Face and Body
Banana Boat Sunless Summer Color Lotion
Here are some of our top picks:
1. Chanel Le Vernis Orange Fizz- The mildest of the bunch, Orange Fizz is a sorbet shade for those who need to dip their toes in before going full-on bright.
2. China Glaze Towel Boy Toy- A gorgeous electric blue with a slight shimmer. It’s hard to describe Towel Boy and do it justice. It’s truly unlike any blue we’ve tried!
3. O.P.I. Need Sunglasses?- The name alone puts you in a beachy state of mind, and this sun yellow shade is bright and summery for those who want to do yellow without resembling a highlighter marker (If you do, check out Essie Funky Limelight).
4. Essie Perky Purple- One of our ABSOLUTE FAVES. Perky Purple looks scary in the bottle, but once applied is the most gorgeous magenta/purple hue. We think they should have named this shade “Magician” or something, because it looks different in every single picture we tried to take.