1. Scrub exhaustion away: While you sleep, skin goes through a “renew and repair” cycle that includes the natural exfoliation of dead skin cells. Lack of sleep means means lack of time to repair… and can leave skin looking dull. A good scrub in the shower can replicate this process quickly, leaving skin more radiant and healthy. *Bonus- Rinse with cold water to stimulate circulation and firm skin quickly.
Ole Hendrickson Sugar Glow Face Scrub, Benefit Honey Snap Out Of It!
2. Moisturize: Losing sleep can mean more than yawns and puffy eyes: it also causes dehydrated skin. A good dose of moisturizer will restore balance and give skin a younger, more supple appearance. *Bonus- Choose a moisturizer with a hint of gradual tanner to counteract sallowness and give skin a natural glow.
Philosophy Hope in a Jar, Jergens Natural Glow Gradual Tan
3. Less is more foundation: When skin looks dull, our first instinct is to PILE on makeup to conceal the problem. The answer is actually less rather than more. A sheer, creamy formula with light reflecting particles will even out skin tone and diffuse imperfections. Apply with fingers rather than a brush or sponge, so that it melts into skin. *Bonus- Only powder the chin and forehead, leaving the bridge of nose and cheeks dewy.
Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer, NARS Sheer Glow Foundation
4. Pay special attention to eyelids: The single most tell-tale sign of a late night? Puffy, red eyes. Pay special attention to this area. Use a creamy concealer to mask dark circles, and don’t forget to blend onto top lid to conceal redness or darkness. *Bonus- a few drops of redness relief drops to whiten eye, and line inner rim with a peachy-flesh toned pencil for a wide-eyed look.
Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage, Lancome Effacernes Waterproof Concealer
5. Curl lashes for a wide-awake look: This is tried and true advice, yet is usually the most overlooked step. Believe in the power of a lash curler! For added life, use a heated curler, or heat the curler with a blast from the blowdryer to set curl, taking care to test first on back of hand to avoid burns. *Bonus: coat lashes with a navy mascara instead of black; the blue will make eyes appear whiter by comparison.
Sephora Heated Eyelash Curler, Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler
6. Lastly, a pop of cheek color to brighten the face and draw focus: Tired skin has a sallow, drained appearance; add back some life with a pop of healthy color right on apples of cheeks. *Bonus- Sheer formulas in hues of candy apple red or plum give skin a transparent, natural flush, like you just pinched your cheeks.
3 Custom Color Lip & Cheek Stain in SkiBunny, Benefit Benetint