By Jennifer Davidson and Monique Hankins
From using Preparation H on puffy eyes, toothpaste on pimples and Crisco on super dry skin, we’ve heard our share of unusual beauty tricks over the years. But not all secret remedies are wacky, here are a few of our favorites that really work:
1. Avocados not only make a delicious dip for your favorite chips, they also make a nourishing treat for your skin. For a deep moisturizing treatment, take two whole, ripe avocados and mash them in a bowl, then slather all over your body. Let it sit for 20 minutes before rinsing for buttery smooth skin.
2. Rub solid antiperspirant/deodorant (the kind that goes on clear) on feet to prevent blisters, and of course, stinky feet.
3. If you experience irritation after waxing or shaving, whole fat milk works great for treating skin. Since milk protein is an anti-inflammatory, it’s perfect for soothing affected areas. Add a few cubes of ice to one cup of (whole) milk, saturate a washcloth or cotton ball and apply to area. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Repeat until skin feels better, then rinse.
4. Create an “aspirin mask” to help treat breakouts. The components of aspirin are similar to salicylic acid which helps exfoliate and unclog pores. Crush a few aspirin, mix with drops of water to form a paste, then apply to face. Leave on for 5-10 minutes. Rinse. (If your skin is dry, add some honey into the mixture)
5. Dryer sheets are great for taming frizzies and fly-aways. Just lightly run one across your hair and your tresses will be tamed.
6. Vaseline mixed with sugar makes a great exfoliant for your lips, leaving them soft, smooth and sweet.
7. Olive oil makes a great moisturizer for lips, cuticles, rough elbows and more.
8. Apple cider vinegar is a great way to combat dandruff without all the chemicals found in most dandruff shampoos. One cup of the vinegar plus one cup of cold water on the scalp after shampooing and conditioning, left on for one minute, then rinsed with cool water will balance the pH of your scalp and also help relieve any itching.
9. Mascara works to temporarily hide grey hairs in between color appointments. Choose a shade that matches your hair at the root and cover, cover, cover!
10. Need to powder your nose but don’t have blotting tissue? Toilet seat covers in public restrooms will absorb excess oil from your face without disturbing your makeup.
11. For moms with babies, baby wipes are a great makeup remover if you’re tired and in a rush. The cloths are soft and the formulas are mild enough for delicate skin. They’re also great for removing stains from clothing in a pinch.
12. For natural teeth whitening, rub a fresh strawberry over your teeth. The fruit contains natural whitening agents and the seeds work great for cleaning. Since they also contain sugar and acids, it’s important to brush immediately afterwards with a fluoride toothpaste. Catherine Zeta Jones swears by this trick!
This post has been brought you by Only in a Woman’s World.